Risk and Chances of Getting Pregnant after Age of 40?
Fertility is a bodily ability to produce children and it depends on the biological clock. In women, fertility starts declining after the age of 35, decreases rapidly after the age of 40, and stops with menopause at the age of 45-50. In Males, fertility decreases at a slow rate after the age of 45 and stops at the age of 70 or more. Thus, the age window for becoming pregnant without any trouble is considered 23 to 35. But having a baby after the age of 40 has become a trend as increasing working women professionals, who desire to postpone their pregnancy due to professional goals, financial stability, or more emotional readiness.
What are the risks of Pregnancy after 40?
With the increase of age, the risk of pregnancy and birth complications also increases.
- Caesarean (C-Section) delivery and premature birth or low birth weight
- High risk of miscarriage
- Gestational diabetes
- High blood pressure and preeclampsia
- Chances of down syndrome
Can a Woman Conceive Naturally after 40?
Women can conceive naturally even after the age of 40. But the ovarian reserve (oocyte generation) and rate of conceiving decreases rapidly after this age. At the age of 30-35, the chances of getting pregnant per cycle are 20%, while after the age of 40 the chances reduced to 5% per cycle. A fertility expert only advises the trying of conceiving only for a maximum of 1 year with maintained BMI and some lifestyle changes. After that, there is no point in wasting time on natural means as you may be on the verge of complete menopause after this age and may also lose the possibilities of becoming pregnant through assisted methods as well.
How to Conceive after 40?
If a couple desires to get pregnant after 40 years of age, they must consult a fertility expert for guidance. Both the partners must undergo the observation as infertility can be found in either man or woman. Contact Dr Shivani Sachdev Gour, Infertility Specialist in Delhi for further guidance in infertility issues. Some basic tests to find out the fertility causes are:
- Suggested Tests for Women: The test starts with observation related to ovarian reserve such as ultrasound, FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), and LH (Luteinizing Hormone) within day 2 to day 5 of the menstrual cycle for clear observation. The next test can be 3D ultrasound for uterine morphology to check for fibroid, polyps, or any other issue in the uterine cavity. The third test that can be suggested is the test of the Fallopian tube.
- Suggested Tests for Men: Semen Analysis is done to find out the issue.
Based on the observation, the following methods can be suggested by the doctor.
- Fertility Medicines: These are the hormones that can be given for oocyte generation and ovulation in females. Some Antioxidants or DHEA are also suggested.
- ART (Artificial Reproductive Technology): ART techniques like IVF and surrogacy, where eggs are fertilized outside the body, in the lab to create an embryo, and transferred it back in the uterus for further development. If egg or sperms cannot be retrieved from the patient, donor egg or sperms can be used.
- IUI (Intrauterine Insemination): In this, sperms are injected into the uterus to fertilize the egg if sperms are unable to perform natural insemination.
- Ovarian Rejuvenation or Stem Cells technique: It is under the research phase right now. From bone marrow, blood is retrieved and used to grow the stem cells, then injected into the ovaries using laparoscopy. This method provides more competent oocytes and increases the chances of getting pregnant.
Contact SCI IVF HOSPITAL – Best Infertility Clinic in Delhi NCR for infertility treatment.